Skip to content
Skip navigation
Skip to navigation



Architectural History

UUFA building
View from the street

The planning process for the original UUFA building began in 1959. The building was designed by architect Thor Bjornstad and architectural engineer Paul Lilly, based on the round forms found in an African village, and dedicated in 1970. Up to that time, the Fellowship had used rented space on the ISU campus.

Because of a lack of funds, the main meeting hall was not built at that time. For 22 years, services were held in the foyer (now called the Fireside Room).

UUFA building
A closer view

Planning for a major expansion and renovation began in 1988. The addition was designed by architects Michael Underhill, David Heymann and Laura Miller, with much feedback from the congregation; the architects received an honor award from the American Institute of Architects for their efforts. The new Fellowship Hall was dedicated in 1992.

After years of planning, in November 2002, the congregation approved a fundraising campaign for another major building addition and renovation. In January 2004, we began to occupy the expanded building wing and renovated spaces.

To read a more detailed account of the Fellowship's architectural history, click here.


The Carmon Slater Quilts

Carmon Slater with quilt
Carmon Slater with quilt

A main feature of our meeting hall is the set of three large quilts made by Carmon Slater, a textile artist and former member now living in Colorado.

The fabric was donated by Fellowship members; much of it carries important personal memories. The images on the quilts represent Unitarian Universalist symbols and scenes from Fellowship history.


main hall
Fellowship Hall


Back to top